Basic Education Department(BED)
The Basic Education Department of De La Salle Araneta University is composed of the grade school and the high school divisions. The move to integrate the two divisions into a single department was made to ensure the efficient delivery of services and to address the vertical articulation of the curriculum for effective teaching and maximum learning.
The High School Department of (then) Gregorio Araneta University Foundation was established much earlier than the Grade School Department. The Araneta High School Department was part of the Araneta Institute of Agriculture, which was established in July 1946 in the hills of San Jose del Monte, Bulacan, twenty-nine kilometers northeast of Manila. The first batch of graduates in 1950 consisted of nine students under Mr. Gonzalo C. Fuster as the first high school principal (1946-1950). Slowly, the school population grew under the leadership of the following principals:
• Mr. Salvador Della (1950 – 1954)
• Prof. Jose Santiago (1954 – 1958)
• Mr. Leovigildo Orozco (1958 – 1960)
• Dr. Edith GreenmanAsis (1960 – 1963)
• Dr. Pedro Villaflores (1963 – 1968)
In June 1967, Dr. Salvador Araneta established the Grade School with 74 pupils from kindergarten to grade four. In June 1968, it was transferred to the rooms formerly occupied by the Institute of Science and Veterinary Medicine (ISVM). In 1969-1970, additional rooms were renovated and new rooms were constructed to address the growing enrollment.
The following were the principals of the grade school department:
• Mrs. Yolanda Franco (1967 – 1987)
• Mrs. NenitaMacatulad (1987 – 1989)
• Mrs. Amor Sapla (1989)
• Mrs. NenitaMacatulad (1989- 1994)
• Mrs. Lydia Jusay (1994 – 1996)
• Dr. Amor Sapla (1996 – 2002)
while the following principals succeeded Dr. Pedro Villaflores in high school:
• Mrs. Ma. Luz Ylagan (1968 -1978)
• Mrs. ValerianaVeneracion (1978 - 1985)
• Dr. Iluminada Della (1985 - 1988)
• Mrs. Pacita Soriano (1988 - 1990)
• Mrs. Amorcita Della (1990 - 1994)
• Dr. NenitaMacatulad (1994 - 2002)
When De La Salle University System took over the management of GAUF on June 1, 2002, Dr. Amor Sapla was reappointed as principal of the Grade School Division while Dr. Judith Aldaba became the officer-in-charge of the High School Division. Effective 2003-2004, with the integration of the Grade School and High School into Basic Education Department, an institutional principal heads the department. In year 2003-2005, Mrs. Ma. Gloria Capili-Mendillo was the Principal and from year 2005, Ms. Marie AllisonE. Parpan became the Principal for the Basic Education Department assisted by the two Division Vice-Principals, one for Grade School and another for High School.
In January 2012, the Basic Education Department had a Consultancy Visit by the Philippine Association of Accredited Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU), in February 2013, the Preliminary Survey Visit and in School Year 2013-2014, the Formal Visit.
The Basic Education Department is now also a Fund Assistance to Private Education(FAPE) – Education Service Contracting (ESC) Certified School following the certification visit in January 2012.
The Department is on its third year of implementing the K to 12 Program of and the Department of Education. It is in close coordination with the Tertiary Education Department on the preparations for Grades 11 and 12 as part of Senior High School that will be offered in School Year 2016-2017.