De La Salle Araneta University is a leading industry-aligned and globally-linked Catholic educational institution committed to experiential teaching and learning for the creation of new knowledge in food security, animal welfare, and entrepreneurship towards societal transformation.
A pioneer private catholic educational institution in agriculture and veterinary medicine, the university—known formerly as Gregorio Araneta University Foundation—was founded in 1946 by Don Salvador Z. Araneta. In 2002, the university was renamed De La Salle Araneta University and officially became the seventh member of the De La Salle (DLS) system.
De La Salle Araneta University, since becoming a Lasallian institution, has seen significant changes in its course offerings, curricula, and infrastructure. In addition, the university’s educational partnerships and collaborations with local and foreign colleges and universities have dramatically increased starting 2010. Today, the university maintains linkages with 27 universities both here and abroad—through MOUs and MOAs that aim to broaden learning and training opportunities for students and faculty, foster academic and cultural interchange in areas of education and research, and facilitate collaboration toward the internationalization of higher education.
In 2011, the DLSAU Sciences Institute (AgSI) was established in the university’s satellite campus in Salikneta Farm, Bulacan to provide BS Agriculture students a practical farm laboratory that would facilitate the immediate application of the theories and concepts that they learned in the classroom. Furthermore, the satellite campus caters to high school students who wish to become future agriculturists but are unable to because of financial reasons.
The university is presently headed by Br. Bernard S. Oca FSC, who was installed as the 19th president of the university in June 2021.
Don Salvador Z. Araneta founded De La Salle Araneta University (formerly Gregorio Araneta University Foundation)—the first private agricultural school in the Philippines—in 1946, after World War II.
Born in January 31, 1902, Don Araneta was the third child of Gregorio Soriano Araneta and Carmen Roxas Zaragosa. Growing up, he was very close with his parents and siblings. One of his brothers, J. Antonio Araneta, even noted that Don Araneta was his parents’ favorite—though this has never caused envy among his other siblings.
Don Araneta was known to be a very diligent student throughout his studies, graduating Magna Cum Laude from Ateneo de Manila for his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1918. After obtaining his undergraduate diploma, he enrolled at Sto. Tomas University to take up law. In 1922, he took the Bar and passed. In the same year, he went to the United States to further his studies—staying for one year in the Law School of Harvard University.
Even as he excelled in school, but he was also a very active young man. He loved games, sports, and playtime—all of which were encouraged by his father. This kind of upbringing deeply influenced how he later viewed education: holistic, civic-oriented, and transformation.
In 1927, Don Araneta married Doña Victoria Lopez. Their 22 years of marriage resulted in the birth of five daughters: Carmina, Ana Maria, Ma. Victoria, Maria Lina, and Maria Regina.
Don Araneta was a man of many professions: a lawyer, educator, businessman, industrialist, economist, public servant, philanthropist, constitutionalist, and nationalist. Throughout his adult life, his involvement in civic affairs has made him a prominent figure in Philippine Politics—serving in several high-ranking government positions during the terms of Presidents Elpidio Quirino and Ramon Magsaysay.
In 1946, in the aftermath of World War II, Don Araneta founded Gregorio Araneta University Foundation (GAUF)—a university he named after his father. In the succeeding years, GAUF became De La Salle Araneta University but its focus remains in the promotion of interest and in the upliftment of agricultural education in the Philippines.
Founder of the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools,
Patron of Christian Teachers.
John Baptist de La Salle was born into a world very different from our own. He was the first son of wealthy parents living in France over 300 years ago. Born at Reims, John Baptist de La Salle received the tonsure at age eleven and was named Canon of the Reims Cathedral at sixteen. Though he had to assume the administration of family affairs after his parents died, he completed his theological studies and was ordained a priest on April 9, 1678.Two years later he received a doctorate in theology. Meanwhile he became tentatively involved with a group of rough and barely literate young men in order to establish schools for poor boys.
At that time a few people lived in luxury, but most of the people were extremely poor: peasants in the country, and slum dwellers in the towns. Only, a few could send their children to school; most children had little hope for the future. Moved by the plight of the poor who seemed so “far from salvation” either in this world or the next, he determined to put his own talents and advanced education at the service of the children “often left to themselves and badly brought up.” To be more effective, he abandoned his family home, moved in with the teachers, renounced his position as Canon and his wealth, and so formed the community that became known as the Brothers of the Christian Schools.
His enterprise met opposition from the ecclesiastical authorities who resisted the creation of a new form of religious life, a community of consecrated laymen to conduct gratuitous schools “together and by association.” The educational establishment resented his innovative methods and his insistence on gratuity for all, regardless of whether they could afford to pay. Nevertheless De La Salle and his Brothers succeeded in creating a network of quality schools throughout France that featured instruction in the vernacular, students grouped according to ability and achievement, integration of religious instruction with secular subjects, well-prepared teachers with a sense of vocation and mission, and the involvement of parents.
In addition, De La Salle pioneered in programs for training lay teachers, Sunday courses for working young men, and one of the first institutions in France for the care of delinquents. Worn out by austerities and exhausting labours, he died at Saint Yon near Rouen early in 1719 on Good Friday, only weeks before his sixty-eighth birthday.
John Baptist de La Salle was a pioneer in founding training colleges for teachers, reform schools for delinquents, technical schools, and secondary schools for modern languages, arts, and sciences. His work quickly spread through France and, after his death, continued to spread across the globe. In 1900 John Baptist de La Salle was declared a Saint. In 1950, because of his life and inspirational writings, he was made Patron Saint of all those who work in the field of education. John Baptist de La Salle inspired others how to teach and care for young people, how to meet failure and frailty with compassion, how to affirm, strengthen and heal. At the present time there are De La Salle schools in 80 different countries around the globe.
Born at Reims, France April 30, 1651
Ordained priest April 9, 1678
Died April 7, 1719
Beatified February 19, 1888
Canonized May 24, 1900
Proclaimed Patron of Christian Teachers May 15, 1950
Taken from St. John Baptist de La Salle: http://www.lasalle.org/en/who-are-we/st-john-baptist-de-la-salle/
De La Salle Araneta University, formerly Gregorio Araneta University Foundation, is a pioneer Catholic private educational institution in Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine. Inspired by the ideals and philosophies of its founder, Don Salvador Z. Araneta, and the charism of St. John Baptist de La Salle, DLSAU seeks to produce experts who will be the resource of church and country in the areas of government, animal welfare, food security, entrepreneurship, and technological development.